Snort mailing list archives

Re: !!Rolling back Snort rule files!!

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:28:24 -0400

On 10/29/2010 13:24, Miso Patel wrote:
Today we installed the newest VRT community rules on our Snort sensors.  Almost
immediately we started seeing increased alert volume and further investigation
shows that these are all false positives. We see *tons* of events for the
Microsoft Kodak imaging malformed tiff rules along with other alerts like
Mozilla firefox image dragging exploit and more.

i saw some of this when i moved up to 2.8.6.1 with a more complete compile than
we were using previously... i disabled ot suppressed those rules because of the
higher number alerts that were apparently FPs...

Right now the SIEM is swamped and I've made the decision to go back to the old
rules ... is there an easy way to do this?  I don't see them online and my
engineers tell me that there is not an option in Snort to instruct it to use the
previous ruleset (e.g. snort --use-prev).  Any help is much appreciated.

i'm sure you have a workable answer to this by now but you'd basically have to
wipe out your current rules sets and then update them using the previous snort
version's version number... this would be done in your rules sets updater tool,
whatever that may be...