Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using detection_filter instead of threshold

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:06:00 -0400

On Oct 27, 2010, at 9:44 PM, infosec posts wrote:
Here's my, "...and another thing!" email.  I would still be using
threshold in-rule, and not event_filter at all right now, but the old
rules I had with thresholds in them just...didn't threshold when I
moved to snort 2.8.6.  I had a couple of custom rules in particular
which generate a lot of alerts, so I had them thresholded down quite a
bit, and they got super noisy again when I rolled out 2.8.6, with no
changes to the rule.  It seemed that I *had* to use event_filter on
them to retain the functionality that I needed.

It seems that you're saying in-rule threshold is "deprecated but still
supported", but that wasn't my experience.  Maybe it was just me
(snort 2.8.6 on RHEL 5), but I wonder if others on the list saw the
same thing?

I'd be interested as well.  It still works, as it's still in the code.