Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0 ipvar unknown rule type

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:49:49 -0400

Did you configure with --enable-ipv6?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Danny Paul <JDPAUL () gocolumbiamo com>wrote:

Greetings,

I have just installed snort 2.9.0 on OpenSuSE 11.3. I'm attempting to
use the VRT certified rules, but I get the following error:

Parsing Rules file "rules/etc/snort.conf"
ERROR: rules/etc/snort.conf(39) Unknown rule type: ipvar.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

If I change "ipvar" back to "var", everything runs fine, but I want to
remain compatible with future versions, and var will be deprecated at
some point.

The OpenSuSE installation is brand new, `snort -V` reports "Version
2.9.0 (Build 68) i386." I'm using libpcap version 1.1.1 and PCRE version
7.9. I think this must be a bug because I cannot seem to find anything
else wrong.

Is anyone else having the same problem?