Snort mailing list archives

Re: too many Alerts (129:12:0)---more than 7000 alerts /per day

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 05:27:35 -0700

Not much improvement (still 7000 + alerts (129:12:0) perday), then I did the
follwing in Snort.conf:
From:
preprocessor stream5_tcp: policy windows, detect_anomalies, require_3whs
180, \
overlap_limit 10, small_segments 3 bytes 100, timeout 180,
To:
preprocessor stream5_tcp: policy windows, detect_anomalies, require_3whs
180, \
overlap_limit 20, small_segments 6 bytes 250, timeout 180,

But Snort is still producing 7000+ alerts (129:12:0) everyday, not sure what
I did above is a right way to reduce the number of these alerts.

John,

Since I'm guessing these aren't relevant to you, you can use your threshold
to ignore it.  In your threshold file:

suppress gen_id 129, sig_id 12

That should stop you from seeing it altogether.

James