Snort mailing list archives

Re: New snort.conf

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 00:57:40 +0000

On 12/29/2010 9:26 PM, Crook, Parker wrote:
So I finally made the push to start migrating everything to 2.9 in its latest iteration (2.9.0.3) as things have
cooled down in both of the environments I run (CentOS & Debian).  After compilation I started migrating and found the
below snippet as a header in my new snort.conf file.  Great information -- Well done guys!

#     False Positive reports:    fp () sourcefire com
#     Snort bugs:                bugs () snort org
#
#     Compatible with Snort Versions:
#     VERSIONS : 2.9.0.3
#
#     Snort build options:
#     OPTIONS : --enable-ipv6 --enable-gre --enable-mpls --enable-targetbased --enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules
--enable-ppm --enable-perfprofiling --enable-zlib --enable-active-response --enable-normalizer --enable-reload
--enable-react --enable-flexresp3
#--------------------------------------------------

I'm really excited to see the snort build options listed in here, as it shows me what is really going on when I run:
./configure --enable-ipv6 --enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules --enable-sourcefire --enable-targetbased
--enable-perfprofiling --enable-reload --enable-dynamicplugin

After being puzzled for a minute I went through the configure options and noted that dynamicplugin is enabled by
default, so I can see why that is left out, so I suppose the -enable-sourcefire turns on the following:
--enable-gre
--enable-mpls
--enable-ppm
--enable-zlib
--enable-active-response
--enable-normalizer
--enable-react
--enable-flexresp3
Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks,
Parker

P.S.  Perhaps consider adding a line in the "For more information visit us at" section pointing to the new Snort Blog?

FYI,

That info (compile options) has been in the snort.conf that was
distributed with the VRT version of the rules for some time. It just
wasn't in the snort.conf that was distributed with the source, however
they have fixed that and the source now also has the correct snort.conf
version. There was also a bunch of differences in how http_inspect was
configured. More info here:

http://trojanedbinaries.com/blog/?p=212

Everyone should really review their snort.conf and if you have the old
stuff still lingering that you were using as a skeleton conf, you should
trash it and go with the new source or the existing VRT conf to make
sure things are configured correctly.

-- Eoin