Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to disable compile-time reload option?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:51:41 -0400

On 9/30/2010 15:40, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
The Host Attribute Table is an awesome feature of newer versions of Snort that allows you to import a table with your
hosts, what services they are running and on what ports.  A rule that targets http (specified by the "service" tag)
may then inspect traffic that isn't on the traditional http ports, because snort knows that this host is running an
HTTP service and on which port.

The trick is building the host table... There is Hogger which takes nmap results and builds the table, and PRADS
which passively listens on your network and will build the table.  I'm using PRADS, since I have some sensitive
devices on my network that choke on an NMAP scan... it's been working pretty well.

ahhh... ok... i wasn't sure if it was that or if "attributes" was being used
generically to mean all or some of the snort.conf configuration options...

thanks!