Snort mailing list archives

Re: msg update for these, please?

From: Alex Kirk <akirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:11:16 -0400

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:55 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 9/28/2010 15:19, Alex Kirk wrote:
     16425 looks at a packet coming "up" from the client -

    yes, so the client is uploading a file... possibly a game or
self-extracting
    binary to a file distribution channel like on the original BBS'
where users
    uploaded and downloaded lottsa files all day long ;)

No, it's not. It's sending a GET request to the server that has a URI
which
contains .exe. It's asking for a .exe file.

ahhh... my bad... i didn't/don't see a content:"GET "; depth:4; in there...
assume a GET is determined because it is http_uri?

Actually, any method that has a ".exe" in the URI will fire on this. 99.99%
of the time that means GET.

(yes, i realize that the content i just used up there is "old style" but it
is
extremely clear in its intent ;) )

how would that rule appear if it were an actual executable upload to the
"server"? i assume that would be a POST...

The URI would likely have nothing to do with a client uploading an
executable to a web server - it'd be in the POST data of a page that could
have an arbitrary URL (for example, you can POST an .exe up to a webmail
system, whose URI might look like "
https://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox";).

      which will then trigger data coming back "down" from the server
that you may
      not want.

    hunh? where do you see that in 1:16425? it would be the job of
/other/ rules
    to detect that, wouldn't it? ;)

You don't see that in 16425. It's implied, though, from the fact that the
client
has requested a .exe file that it's probably going to get such a file
returned
to it. While 15306 will generally alert on the file being returned, we
have SID
16425 because some people want to drop outbound requests that have .exe
in the URI.

i can understand that... i missed, somehow, that this was a GET request...
hope your answers to the above can clarify that for me...

that also means that my original post should have read like this...

OLD:
 15306   WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer
 16425   WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer

NEW:
 15306   WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer
  16425   WEB-CLIENT Executable binary file request

OR:
  15306   WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer to client
  16425   WEB-CLIENT Executable binary file request to server

See my reply to Shawn.

this because .exe does not denote a PE .exe binary by default ;)

As a file extension it sure does.

i wonder what a GET /foo/my.exe.sourcecode.pas would do with that rule? :P

Honestly, it'd generate a FP. There's a feature request in to allow us to
pin a content to the end of a buffer (including, I believe, the end of a URI
before the parameters start) that should fix that.

maybe i need more c0ffee?

    in any case, i really do think it best that the one to the client
denotes
    that and the one to the server denotes that as well... no matter what
else
    may happen after it gets where it is going :)  i do try to adhere to
the
    KISS principle and go with the most simple choice when i can instead
of
    over-engineering things ;) :P

         > Duplicate messages are generally no fun, though, so how about
making the
            second
         > one "WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer -
.exe in URI"?

            that might work but see above... ;)

         > On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM, waldo kitty <
wkitty42 () windstream net
        <mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>
        <mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net <mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net

--
Alex Kirk
AEGIS Program Lead