Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Snort Anomaly Detection

From: Andres Carrera Rivera <protoss_black88 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:23:13 -0500

 On 9/19/2010 8:22 AM, Bernhard Guillon wrote:
On 19.09.2010 04:40, Andres Carrera Rivera wrote:

Thats great!! I follow your steps and configure PHAD without any ERRORS
OK! Now I got installed PHAD as a Preprocessor on SNORT :-D
Now my question is, I run snort as always like : snort -c ./snort.conf.
And my PHAD is running in a training mode...

What do you expect an anomaly detection algorithm to report in training mode?

Mmm maybe not in training mode, but I want to see a quick report after scanning the PHAD in Snort.

But I want to see any report of PHAD, How I know if I had any anomalies
on my network?...
where are those anomalies alerts?
on logs, or in a PHAD file, if it has?

On screen and where ever you told snort to log the alerts (see documentation for default location). Please use the DARPA set (as I told you already) with the config I gave you to verify that the preprocessor is working as expected.

Best regards
Bernhard Guillon

OK, I follow your steps and use the DARPA.
I ran my snort like:

snort -r ../inside.tcpdump -c ./snort.conf , using the file that you gave me.

as a result I got about 710 new alerts! that log in my alert file.

but checking my alerts file, I didn't find any anomaly alert, or something with PHAD.. I suppose there will be some kind of anomaly detection alerts, or something like that. I attach my alert file, and other file that show you the last part of snort( the mini analysis and results), there, I don't see any anomalies too

so I dont know if the PHAD is working, cause I dont see nothing with Packet Anomalies, Please could you check those files,
and tell me whats wrong, or if its working well.
I want to see anomalies alerts, and a PHAD report like those files that you gave me.

Thanks,

Andres Carrera