Snort mailing list archives

Re: unified2 logs are empty

From: Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 07:38:43 -0500

KW,

A couple of things:

   - Portscans do not always yield events. It depends on your preprocessor
   config. A more reliable method of creating events in a lab or very small
   home network is to create a custom rule in local.rules like "alert tcp
   $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg: "someone surfed the web"; sid:
   1000001)". Be careful with that one: I use it for testing Snort at home and
   just clicking on a couple of web pages can generate hundreds of events. If
   you are in a network with more than one person, try something more limited,
   like replacing $HOME_NET with your workstation IP.
   - I'm assuming that your statement below is a typo: outout unified2:
   filename snort.u2, limit 128. It should and probably does read output, not
   outout. Snort would most likely have failed to start if outout was there,
   but please double check.
   - If these suggestions don't work for you, please include your
   snort.conf, barnyard2.conf and the command you use to start snort in your
   reply to the list. It really helps give a better idea of where to look for
   issues.

Thanks and happy snorting!

Nick