Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance Monitor Graphing Tool

From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:00:37 -0300

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Mike Lococo <mikelococo () gmail com> wrote:
On 09/02/2010 02:46 PM, Greg Lane wrote:
Does anybody had a good location to obtain a good perfmonitor graph tool
for snort?  Every link that I have tried doesn’t seem to work and
nothing is available.

With my Zabbix setup, I have a single screen that shows the following
data for all my snort sensors:

 * Bandwidth at my taps (snmp)
 * Bandwidth to my snort processses (agent custom item)
 * Received/dropped packets for snort (agent custom item)
 * stream/frag stats (agent custom item)
 * CPU usage of various types (agent build-in item)
 * RAM usage of various types (agent build-in item)
 * Disk I/O activity in bytes and in iops (agent build-in item)
 * Free disk space (agent build-in item)
 * A list of the top-5 process-names that are using CPU-time (I
   can't wait for iotop to work on RHEL so I can get this list
   for io-consumers as well, this is an agent custom item).
 * Other stuff I can't remember

I second Zabbix :)

I use a map to relay information about the sensors though:
http://www.pintumbler.org/onestop.png

All of the links you see in the picture are tied to numerous event
triggers. DB connectivity and stats, snort and sguil processes,
perfmon, CPU, MEM, I/O, BW and even latency make up the event
triggers.
All of this summarized with: "OK" or "Problem". I don't start looking
at graphs until there is a problem :).

The perfmon stuff is useful but it is only a small part of a much
larger picture.