Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort home net and external net question

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:41:38 -0400

Check out README.variables in the doc/ directory of the tarball.

On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Andy Berryman wrote:

I tried that, but am getting an error. I’m running 2.8.6.0

Sep  3 16:51:33 (none) snort[18415]: FATAL ERROR: /snort/conf/general.rules(1) Negated IP ranges that are equal to or
are more general than non-negated ranges are not allowed.  Consider inverting the logic: $EXTERNAL_NET.

var HOME_NET [10.215.0.0/16]
var EXTERNAL_NET [10.215.40.0/24,!$HOME_NET]

Is it b/c my home net is a /16 and the external net I’m trying to add is a /24?

Thanks,
Andy