Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging MAC address with snort, barnyard2 & MySQL

From: David Guimaraes <skysbsb () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:34:57 -0300

I searched about this some time ago, also without finding answers ..

The only way I found to recover the MACs of hosts, is going directly
to the file unified2 snort, and run the following statement:

$ cd /var/log/snort
# Generate the pcap format from unified2 output log
$ barnyard2 -c barn-pcap-log.conf -o snort2.ethX.u2.XXXX -l
/var/log/snort/tcpdumps

# Filter only the finding packet
$ tcpdump -e -n -r tcpdump.log.XXXX host WWW and port ZZZ and host XXX

# Barnyard2 pcap output file
$ cat barn-pcap-log.conf
config classification_file: /etc/snort/classification.config
config gen_file:            /etc/snort/gen-msg.map
config reference_file:      /etc/snort/reference.config
config sid_file:                /etc/snort/sid-msg.map
input unified2
output log_tcpdump: tcpdump.log

Or, of course, change the code of the database output plugin of
barnyard2 to include the ethernet frame packet logs in the database
and change BASE to interprete the ethernet frame.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Guillaume Blanc