Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to create testing data files??

From: Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:31:38 +0100

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 20:35, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:
how can we create data files and test rules without having to create pcaps? i've
tried creating a file with some test strings in it and feeding it to snort via
the various pcap reading methods but snort always whines "bad dump file format"
and quits...

the snort 2.8.6.1 manual specifically states, in section 1.7.2 at the bottom of
page 16...

[quote] Note that Snort will not try to determine whether the files under that
directory are really pcap files or not. [/quote]

that indicates that we can create a "text" file and feed it to snort... what am
i missing??

Try rule2alert (https://code.google.com/p/rule2alert/), which will
generate a pcap file for the rule you provide.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
        doesn't become a monster.                  Friedrich Nietzsche