Snort mailing list archives

Re: Oinkmaster can't get rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:48:41 -0400

Looks like you may have a dns problem resolving amazon's hostname.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Alejandro Cabrera Obed <aco1967 () gmail com> wrote:

Dear all, I've Oinkmaster 2.0 installed in my Windows machine. I've
change the URL path to download the Snort rules since last June, it's
OK because some days ago it worked.

I run the script from a command shell (Windows), in the way:

c:\oinkmaster-2.0\oinkmaster.pl -C c:\oinkmaster-2.0\oinkmaster.conf
-o "c:\snort\rules"

But some days ago I got the following error:

oinkmaster.pl: Error: could not download from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi
/*my_oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz:
500 Can't connect to s3.amazonaws.com:443 (Bad hostname 's3.amazonaws.com')

I put my proxy settings as a Windows enviroment variable as follow:

HTTP_proxy = http://10.4.56.2:8080

but I don't know what happen now.

If I download the rules from my web browser with the same proxy
settings, I succed !!!

So please what's the problem with oinkmaster.pl ???

Thanks a lot.

Alejandro