Snort mailing list archives

Re: PPPoE problem with Snort on OpenBSD 4.7.

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:16:54 -0400

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Schrodinger <schrodinger () konundrum org>wrote:

Hello,

I have a problem running Snort on OpenBSD 4.7 with a pppoe interface.

I contacted the maintainer of the port and he suggested I bring my problem
to this mailing list.

I am running Snort Version 2.8.4.1 (Build 38) on OpenBSD 4.7.

# uname -a
OpenBSD supai 4.7 GENERIC#558 i386
#

# pkg_info | fgrep -i snort
oinkmaster-2.0      update your Snort rules
snort-2.8.4.1-mysql highly flexible sniffer/NIDS
#

When I try to start snort on the external interface of my firewall I am
getting:

# snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i pppoe0 -v
[...]
Initializing Network Interface pppoe0

snort cannot handle data link type 51
#

I have made very little changes to the snort.conf so I do not believe
that is the problem.

I am using this ADSL card here: http://traverse.kd85.com/

"Traverse Viking PCI ADSL2+ Modem Card"

From what I can tell the problem is that in src/snort.c there is no
support for 'DLT_PPP_ETHER'.

I believe you nailed this one.  Not sure how back the problem goes, but the
fix will be in Snort 2.9.0.  If you are comfortable reading source,
hopefully you can download the latest tarball and build from there.  The fix
won't be in that tarball, but it should be in the next.

Can you help with this ? If you need any more information please ask.

Many thanks,
Conor.