Snort mailing list archives

Re: Getting Snort version as bash variable

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:33:31 -0400

On 8/4/2010 04:56, Rob MacGregor wrote:
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 06:37, CoryC<oakleeman () yahoo com>  wrote:
Last week someone wrote that they used a script to do automatic updates of Snort. I'm trying to do something similar
but am having difficulty capturing the version number as a Bash variable. I can capture the whole version string&
ascii art but can't figure out how to manipulate it to give me just the version number. I'm unable to echo the
string into a text file either, it shows all the info on the screen.

I was getting it from the snort.conf file but I didn't see it written in the latest version so I thought I'd get it
from the -V method.

I've google searched but might be using the wrong terms since I've not had much luck. Any advice would be
appreciated.

snort -V 2>&1 | egrep Version | sed "s/.*Version \([0-9\.]*\) .*/\1"

that's almost exactly what i do in perl... more specifically, lines 1, 4, and 7
in the following perl snippet ;)

open(MY_INPUT,"/usr/bin/snort -V 2>&1 |");
while(MY_INPUT) {
   chomp;
   if (/Version\s+(.*)/i) {
     (${display_version}, ${sub1}, $sub2}) = split(/ /,$1);
     ${snortDLversion} = ${display_version};
     ${snortDLversion} =~ s/\.//g;
     ${display_version} .= " ${sub1} ${sub2}";
   }
}
close(MY_INPUT);
while (length(${snortDLversion}) < 4) {
   ${snortDLversion} .= '0';
}

Should do the trick (caution, that wasn't a copy and paste, some minor
tweaking may be required).  Basically, it redirects stderr to stdout,
extracts only the line with the word Version in it and then extracts
the field after the word Version, that consists only of numbers and
dots.

yup... mine above extracts the field into three vars via splitting on the
spaces... then we remove all the dots from the version portion...

If Snort were to move to including letters in the version you'd
want:

snort -V 2>&1 | egrep Version | sed "s/.*Version //" | awk '{ print $1 }'

Which does much the same, only it extracts the space delimited field
after the word Version.

so many ways and so little time :P :)