Snort mailing list archives

Re: Recent [unilateral, unannounced] Rule Changes

From: Mike Guiterman <mguiterman () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:34:25 -0400

JP (and all)

Thanks for the pointed criticism and suggestions for improving
communications about changes that impact users.  Communicating change
to a vast, diverse community is difficult so we appreciate the input
on doing it better.

The changes to the rules download process in April and again this
month were designed to resolve two of the most common complaints from
the community:
1. Reduce the size of VRT downloads.  The April 26 change reduced the
rules files size by about 4X.  Yes - this was communicated on 4/26,
but we provided a 30 day window to make the change:  Here's a snip
describing the window and a link to message on snort-sigs.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20100426162738.1BD25D4028%40sourcefire.com

"The Old Package names are still available but they are now symlinked to
the new package names.  The symlinks will exist for the next 30 days.

Symlinks Subscriber:
1. snortrules-snapshot-2853_s.tar.gz ->
snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz
2. snortrules-snapshot-2853_s.tar.gz ->
snortrules-snapshot-2.8_s.tar.gz

* IMPORTANT *
The above is not a typo. The 2853 is symlinked to CURRENT and 2.8
packages
this is intentional, as to not break auto downloaders that define
CURRENT incorrectly."

2. Improve reliability for rules downloads.  The move to S3 is
intended to accomplish this with the additional benefit of removing
the 15 minute download restriction.
Given the headaches caused (and putting the inaccurate guidance I
posted aside for this thread) we should have provided longer a window
for users to digest the change and plan the update like we did in
April.

In the future I don't know that setting up yet another mailing list is
the solution, but your point on communicating changes in advance is
well taken.  For future changes I'll commit exhausting all of vehicles
(mailing lists, VRT Blog, Snort.org) and ensure changes like this are
communicated in advance and in a coordinated manner across the
community.
For now - Anyone using VRT rules really should subscribe to snort-sigs
and the VRT blog.  Those are the two primary communication outlets for
the VRT.  We realize that many don't so we'll expand where these
changes are announced.

We appreciate your patience as we grow our systems to support a
growing community

Mike