Snort mailing list archives

Re: What s the difference between the shipped snort.conf's?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:30:29 -0400

On 7/28/2010 21:32, Jun Wan wrote:
Hi Jimmy,

I am going to do the same thing as you did---making the transition from 2.8.5.3
to 2.8.6.1.

What's the best way to do this transition?
How did you make the transition?

FWIW: i made the transition in my setups by downloading and compiling the new
2.8.6.1 sources... i suspect that it is much easier in other environments due to
the pre-compiled binary downloads that are available...

FWIW2: i don't think it will help with your problem of pulled pork not being
able to download the MD5 file but stranger things have been seen... especially
if the MD5 is/was not available where your pulled pork may have been looking for
it... this may also be hampered if SF/VRT's time limited download stuff is
blocking the MD5 after the rules have been pulled down... i've seen times where
one download is allowed and then it is at least 15 minutes before another is
allowed... that indicates that the rules pull may happen "now" and then you have
to wait 15 minutes before you can pull the MD5 file...

this theory is what i have found in my testing of my apps' and their update
functions... i've tried to relate these concerns to SF/VRT but something seems
to be lost in translation at times... oh well... i can only do what i can to
pass this info on to others :?