Snort mailing list archives

threshold.conf and performance on snort

From: JS <jspudz () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:15:45 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I currently have been tuning my snort configuration to remove/limit the amount
of alerts I am receiving. To do this I have been updating my threshold.conf to
limit or suppress (only alerts I know are not valid) alerts. The majority of my
threshold.conf configuration is doing "limits" so that I do not get 100's of
duplicate messages for a single event.

My current setup is using snort. 2.8.6 running on RHEL with barnyard logging to
a mysql db backend server which we view via BASE. My question is  how much
overhead (if any) does utilizing the threshold.conf create for my snort sensor?
If by using threshold.conf I am creating alot of overhead, is there another
preferred method to tune what is logged/alerted to my db?

I am running this in daemon mode and I was not sure of a way to check for
dropped packets or snort performance. Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

-Joe