Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule efficiency

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:16:14 -0400

On 7/23/2010 13:56, Alex Kirk wrote:
Meanwhile, let me give you some thoughts on these rules in particular. If you're
looking for HTTP access, as I would guess based on your fictional names, you'll
need to specify the http_header keyword to go along with those contents for
Snort 2.8.6 and beyond - since hostnames appear in HTTP headers, and you need
that keyword to make Snort look there.

really? so this information will no longer be available in the normal buffer at
all???

Additionally, you might consider switching these over to be rules that look
for DNS queries to the domains in question (assuming you're confident this
is not bot-generated traffic that's going off of an internal hosts file) -
such rules are almost as easy to write,

i was going to suggest something similar, we well...

and there's *way* less UDP traffic to inspect than HTTP, which will help improve
your overall performance pretty dramatically.

hummm... i wonder how this format would flesh out on the efficiency scale??

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"|0d 0a|Host\: crappydomain.com|0d 0a|";
nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert crappydomain.com";
classtype:string-detect; sid:1000340; gid:1; rev:1; )

it at least anchors on the Host header keyword without using anything else...
this also prevents it from firing on messages that are just talking about
crappydomain.com ;)

Oh, and to anyone reading this: I almost top-posted, but then I decided not to
kill a kitten. ;-)

awww... Death likes kittens... he loves them, in fact ;)

http://www.wpusa.dynip.com/wpusa_images/Death_with_kittens.jpg