Snort mailing list archives

Re: Difference between Dynamic library rules vs regular rules in snort.conf?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:28:23 -0400

you DO have to run them both.  That's correct.

On Jul 22, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:

I was told, in a SourceFire training course (Snort Rule Writing Best Practices, which I highly recommend!) by the
instructor that all the stuff in the so_rules was also in the text rules and that you didn’t need to run the
so_rules.  My understanding (from asking on this list), and I brought it up in the class, is that you DO have to run
both rulesets to have complete protection, since some vulnerabilities/rules are not made public by VRT/SourceFire due
to agreements with vendors, and those rules are ONLY in the so_rules.

So, IMO, it’s important to run both rulesets.  Although, I understand the reasoning behind the so_rule format, it’s
annoying that you can’t see into the rule.  I find myself doing that a lot when I see an alert to try to understand
why it fired… The [rule] link in BASE is great for this, but for so_rules it doesn’t tell you much.