Snort mailing list archives

Re: Homebrew unified2 processing vs barnyard2

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:24:02 +0000

  On 7/19/2010 7:14 PM, K D wrote:
True, I suppose I'm wondering if barnyard2's performance leaves much
to be desired in the snort community. I haven't seen any major
complaints, and would imagine it's not the source of any major
bottlenecks (as opposed to the actual database). I'd be interested to
see what the Sguil guys would have to say about their experience and
decisions regarding barnyard2 for their project.

Though I plan to stick with Postgresql for now, has there been any
thought or research in NSM events (snort, sancp, etc) being stored in
the trendier schema-less databases or a hybrid unified2 flat file and
rdbms setup?

\\korodev

barnyard2 is going to outperform most everything else just due to the
language it is written in versus all the python/perl/ruby/whatever.
There was a duplicate entry bug I found about six months ago, but the
maintainers fixed it super quick and it runs pretty flawlessly. Actively
maintained and fast, you can't ask for much more.

-- Eoin