Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort inline SLOW

From: Will Metcalf <william.metcalf () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:48:15 -0500

I think it would actually make sense that it would act the same, as
ip_queue is implemented as a compatibility layer on top of
netfilter_queue on kernels that support both if I remember correctly.
With that said, is it possible that you have not modified your
ip_queue_maxlen setting and you are actually dropping packets?  You
should be able to see a dropped packet count with

cat /proc/net/ip_queue

If you are seeing dropped packets, try the following.

echo 65535 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Also see the following post Victor Julien did on improving
snort_inline performance with NFQ.

http://www.inliniac.net/blog/2008/01/23/improving-snort_inlines-nfq-performance.html

An additional thing to check is to make sure you have not accidentally
converted any alert rules intended for protocol decode to drop, grep
for flowbits:noalert, and review, as snort will silently be dropping
traffic without telling you about it.

Regards,

Will

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Tomás Heredia