Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS and HoneyPot placement in LAN

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:43:48 -0400

I'd say one of the simplest would probably be span the switch port where the Honeypot is connected.
The span port would feed an unnumbered interface on the snort sensor. This way you
get only traffic bound to/from the honeypot (+ bcast).
The IDS sensor should not be visible this way.
The IDS host should also have a mgt interface.
The IDS management interface can be connected anywhere you want it.
A dedicated "security" vlan protected with proper ACL's etc. being one of the better options.

The honeypot should go wherever it makes the most sense in your situation. That all depends on what you're trying to do.
Maybe you can spell out your goal here a bit? Looking for internal miscreants or collecting attacks from the 'net or ?

jm2c, ymmv, and the usual disclaimers apply.