Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.8.6.0 rules available to registered and subscribers for 30 days

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:28:51 -0400

All,

In light of the recent update to 2.8.6.0, we've been receiving a bunch of
feedback surrounding the inability to use 2.8.5.3 Shared Object rules with
the 2.8.6.0 codebase.  I'm sure everyone that follows the lists have seen a
bunch of emails recently about the segfaults people are receiving.

Since we are interested in having as many people as we can move up to the
new 2.8.6.0 codebase, what we've decided to do is release the 2.8.6.0
rulepack to both the subscribers and the registered users at the same time.
This one-time change in the VRT subscription model is so that everyone get
on the current rulepack and upgrade to 2.8.6.0 with the correct rulepack.

The way this works is the following:

*Registered users running 2.8.5.3*
You can now update to 2.8.6.0, download the current rulepack and run the
latest 2.8.6.0 rules for the next 29 days (30 days from yesterday).  If you
wish to continue to receive the latest updates, you can of course subscribe
here <http://www.snort.org/vrt/buy-a-subscription/>.

*Registered users running 2.8.5.3, not upgrading to 2.8.6.0*
You can continue to use the 2.8.5.3 rules, however, we will not be providing
the SO rules that the subscribers get until about May 26th. (30 days after
the rulepack change).  So, essentially, there is no change for you.

*Subscribers using 2.8.5.3*
There is no change for you.  Keep using your 2853_s url.

*Subscribers using 2.8.6.0*
There is no change for you.  Keep using your 2860_s url.

We are doing this, not only so people won't hesitate to update to 2.8.6.0,
but also, because we believe its the right thing to do for our users.

Please review the changes in the rulepack names and how to download them on
the VRT Blog here<http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com/2010/04/rule-release-for-today-april-26th-2010.html>
.

Thanks!

Joel Esler