Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort With Base Access Without Delete

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:41:13 -0400

On 5/11/2010 5:15 PM, Galley, Daniel wrote:
One way to do this would be to create another DB user that only has read
privileges on the tables.  Then make a copy of your base folder and edit
the configuration to use this read-only DB user instead of the standard
DB user.  Give your helpdesk login rights to this instance of BASE and
not the other.  Does that make sense?

IIRC, you need "some" rights for BASE to function.  I tried adding a
read-only user, but you have to write the cache entries and post-indexed
items which BASE normally does on each page update (e.g., Added 'xx'
alerts to the alert cache).

You can even try doing reduced SQL GRANTs to a second user, but I never
quite got the right combination without hosing some functionality.

If anyone succeeds, there is certainly an audience of at least two now
for that ability.  :-)

Jeff