Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Deployment

From: akos.daniel () db-soft hu
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:45:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

In case of this Topic I can understand the answers, but is it considerable
to use IPS before the firewall as well?
I mean if I put the IPS behind the FW then I loose the monitoring for
attacks against the firewall. Today firewalls terminate many services like
sslvpn, ravpn, auth services... and for those services they have many
'shortcomings' (just an example is the Sockstress TCP DoS attacks).
What would be the best practice for an IPS topology?
If the firewall has not just 2 interfaces but many more DMZs then should
we implement as many IPS as many Firewall interfaces we have?
Is there a basic concept for the IPS topo or depends it always on the
business requirements /what the management want to protect.../ ?

I usually recommend that people implement Snort behind a firewall.

As for interfaces, 2 is a good start.  One for management, one for
sniffing.
 However, if you have a tap, you might need 3 depending on the model of
tap.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Kum Weng Luey <kumwengluey () gmail com>