Snort mailing list archives

Re: scanning for emoticons in MSN messenger?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:38:48 -0400

Eric,

You'd have to grab a pcap of traffic to see what format the emoticon is in.
 Then you could write a simple content signature.

Joel

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Eric Zheng <zhengeric () hotmail com> wrote:

 I want to see if it's possible to make a rule to look for any custom
emoticon being sent over MSN messenger.  I believe this is possible since a
custom emoticon image has to be sent over the network, but I'm not sure how
to look for it (file type matching? but I don't know what format custom
emoticons are in).  I'm new to snort rules but I have been familiarizing
myself with their syntax and usage.

I believe it would be along the lines of:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 1863 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"Emoticon detected";
<emoticon signature>;)

Where <emoticon signature> are the requisites to trigger the alert.  Port
1863 is used for MSN messenger.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail. Get
busy.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4>