Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.8.5.3 does not like default global telnet config??

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:12:52 -0400

Hi and thanks!

I think what you are saying is that snort.conf was not updated and has stale keywords?

I did a diff between the one in the build folders and the production one and there are some interesting changes.
Production one looked stale..

So I set up a new snort.conf based on the one in the install files and now it is still failing with the same error.
At least I am consistent...

It has the SSL config now which looks valid:  (per Page #66-67 in manual)

preprocessor ssl: noinspect_encrypted, trustservers

When I try to run it, it still claims that:

....Portscan Detection Config:
    Detect Protocols:  TCP UDP ICMP IP
    Detect Scan Type:  portscan portsweep decoy_portscan distributed_portscan
    Sensitivity Level: Low
    Memcap (in bytes): 10000000
    Number of Nodes:   36900
ERROR: /usr/local/etc/snort.conf(406) => Invalid keyword 'encrypted_traffic' for 'global' configuration.
Fatal Error, Quitting..
MY-IDS@/usr/local/bin:

I read the snort.conf file and looked at the manual again and I honestly don't see what else I would need to config to
get it at least running. The defaults look like they should work without human intervention.

should I go back to flipping burgers now? ;)