Snort mailing list archives

http_header issues, Snort 2.8.5.3

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:22:40 -0500

Hello, I am running Snort 2.8.5.3 and it appears that either
http_header; is not working correctly, does not work with a relative
keyword, or I do not understand http_header; correctly.  I am attempting
to constrain a content match to the http_header for performance reasons.

Note, no need to recommend isdataat, I know there is data within 1024
bytes past the previous content match.

Does NOT work:
    uricontent:"/login.php"; fast_pattern; content:"|0d 0a|Cookie\: ";
nocase; http_header; content:"ieatbugs="; within:1024;

Does work:
    uricontent:"/login.php"; fast_pattern; content:"|0d 0a|Cookie\: ";
nocase; content:"ieatbugs="; within:1024;

Comments/insight appreciated.

-evilghost