Snort mailing list archives

Re: PCRE and uricontent anchor

From: Curt Shaffer <cshaffer () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:40:46 -0400

You rock Thanks!
On Mar 26, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Joel Esler wrote:

Using your below example:

On Mar 26, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Curt Shaffer wrote:

I am attempting to write a rule that would capture a POST event to a url with a specific file. Here is an example:

https://www.example.com/abc.aspx?id=459184950

The id section is always different. We also want to look for any similar POSTS to any address. With that in mind,
here is the basis of what we came up with.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 443 (msg:"Bad stuff potentially going on unencrypted";
uricontent:"aspx?id="; pcre:"/aspx\?id=\d*/U"; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:x; rev:1;)

--
Joel Esler
http://blog.joelesler.net