Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Host Attribute table

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:49:26 -0400

On Mar 24, 2010, at 2:11 PM, Jason Wallace wrote:
1) I know that it plays into frag3, stream5, http_inspect, and rules.
But does it also have an affect on?:

ftp_telnet
ftp_telnet_protocol
smtp
ssh
dcerpc2
dcerpc2_server
dns
ssl

I assume it would at least affect the "ports" option of these.

According to the 2.8.6 docs, it affects exactly what you put in your initial comment above (after the 1).  I don't see,
according to documentation, that it affects other preprocessors.  I did not look at the code however.

2) I suspect, now that we have hogger to help out, more people will be
migrating to using the host attribute table.

I hope so.

Right now I have a pretty
complicated snort.conf to do what the host attribute table would do.
For those migrating, does it make sense to simplify our detailed
preprocessor setups to just match the most common hosts and let the
the table handle the rest?

Exactly.

3) Kind of the same question as #2 but in relation to "var"'s. Since
the table would have the IP and ports for these servers/services, does
the host attribute table make the following pointless to define?

var DNS_SERVERS
var SMTP_SERVERS
var HTTP_SERVERS
var SQL_SERVERS
var TELNET_SERVERS
var FTP_SERVERS
var SNMP_SERVERS
portvar HTTP_PORTS
portvar ORACLE_PORTS
portvar FTP_PORTS

I know without the host attribute table it is a good idea to
specifically define the "*_SERVERS" vars to cut down on what is
inspected, but with a host attribute table could you just set those to
$HOME_NET and be done with them?

I would say yes, they are still important to configure.  However, since you have such a detailed Snort.conf, I would be
interested in you testing both and letting us know your results.

--
Joel Esler
http://blog.joelesler.net