Snort mailing list archives

Re: Errors in the Snort manual

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:00:25 -0500

Hey Mike, it looks like this should go to snort-team () sourcefire com so
I'm CCing them to this E-Mail.  This should be more than embarrassing.
If I can soap-box for a minute I would think the accuracy of the manual
should be paramount; it should be the definitive authoritative source
for Snort, not a loose association of blogs, web posts, mailing-list
content, etc where it ends up being a sadistic chose your own adventure
style learning process.

Take a step back and imagine the perception someone would have being
introduced to Snort for the first time and pulling down the current
manual, complete with incorrect syntax, gross spelling errors,
grammatical errors, and syntax inconsistency.  Might make it hard to get
adoption in the enterprise since one wouldn't associate enterprise
quality software with mistakes of this magnitude.

I may not be subtle but this is the reality behind mistakes like these.

-evilghost

Mike Cox wrote:
Again, not trying to be pedantic but I was playing around with a
popular spell checking tool and found the following errors in the
Snort 2.8.5.1 manual:

Page 13, the word "substitue" should be "substitute".

Page 16, the word "specifiy" should be "specify".

Page 16, the word "specifiy" should be "specify".

Page 26, the word "occurr" should be "occur".

Page 32, the word "compatibilty" should be "compatibility".

Page 32, the word "occurances" should be "occurrences".

Page 34, the word "occurance" should be "occurrence".

Page 35, the word "occurance" should be "occurrence".

Page 37, the word "orginal" should be "original".

Page 38, the word 'postives" should be "positives".

Page 41, the word "legimite" should be "legitimate".

Page 44, the word "delimiated" should be "delimited".

Page 49, the word "perfomance" should be "performance".

Page 53, the word "argumnet" should be "argument".

Page 56, the word "Telent" should be "Telnet".

Page 56, the words "the the" should just be "the".

Page 57, the word "normailzed" should be "normalized".

Page 57, the word "cooresponding' should be "corresponding".

Page 63, the word "Respone" should be "Response".

Page 64, the word "proprocessor" should be "preprocessor".

Page 68, the word "preprosessor" should be "preprocessor".

It is interesting that these errors are fairly evenly distributed.  I
stopped on page 68.  Given the distribution of errors, there are
guaranteed to be more but that can be left as an exercise for the
SourceFire intern.

-Mike Cox

Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev