Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unable to run Snort in IPS mode

From: Ray Caparros <arcy24 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:56:18 -0500

Could you provide more info on what rule you have enabled on you
local.rules

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:07, "Sharma, Ashish" <ashish.sharma3 () hp com>
wrote:

Hi,

I have a fedora core 10 virtual machine running on a sun virtual box.

I am trying to run Snort on this machine in IPS mode.

I followed the following steps (I had already installed the
prerequisites for Snort IPS):

1. Downloaded 'snort-2.8.5.2.tar.gz'
2. Extracted the binaries.
3. did './configure --enable-inline'
4. did 'make'
5. did 'make install'
6. copied snort rules and snort conf at appropriate location.
7. executed the following command :
'snort -A console -Q -c /etc/snort /snort.conf -i eth1 -l /var/log/
snort'
8. Snort launches with the traces :

Enabling inline operation
Running in IDS mode

--== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Output Plugins!
Initializing Preprocessors!

Initializing rule chains...
ERROR: /etc/snortIDSMode/rules /local.rules(10 ) Unknown rule type:
reject.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

8. As you can see I have a test rule in local.rule that have a
'reject' rule in it but snort is not accepting it, same is the case
for 'sdrop' rule also.

9. What is the problem , please help!!!!!

What should I do in all to let my Snort run in IPS mode

Thanks in advance

Ashish Sharma

---
---