Snort mailing list archives

Re: Metadata field in rules to identify target?

From: Matt Watchinski <mwatchinski () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:51:05 -0500

You can also use the metadata keyword in the snort-rule if you want.  Its a
free text field.

 metadata:SOME KEY, SOME VALUE;

Cheers,
-matt

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:

You could use the msg field to give a more specific indicator as to
thr purpose of the rule.

"Exploit for IIS inbound".  For example.

--
Joel Esler
302-223-5974

On Feb 19, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Williams Jon <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com
 > wrote:

While I was discussing snort rules with some friends, I got to
thinking: would it be possible to add a metadata field to a snort
rule that would allow me to identify which end of the conversation
is the actual target of the activity (i.e. the source or destination
IP address)?  The reason this comes up is that I’ll sometimes need t
o write rules where the source of the packet is actually the target
of the attack, for example looking for a response that indicates tha
t an attack succeeded.  Much of the time, analysis tools presume tha
t the source of the packet is the source of the attack, and in this
case, it’s obviously not the case.

With such a beast in place, I could focus on alerts/attacker,
attackers/victim, etc. rather than the more mundane src/dst notation.

Thoughts?

Jon

Data is the pollution of the information age. -- Bruce Schneier

---
---
---

--
Matthew Watchinski
Sr. Director Vulnerability Research Team (VRT)