Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP rule "Access Denied for Mail Relay"

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 14:55:06 -0500

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM, <volga629 () skillsearch ca> wrote:

Hello,
Yes you right i am trying set snort to alert and deny open mail relay
for mail server, by the way on mail server is denied, but i want take
off this task from it.  I triggered some alerts of SMTP traffic and
BASE shows as expected.
But I am not sure how to alert open mail relay and how snort should act as
IPS.

 The IPS will not know if relaying is allowed.  Only the SMTP server can
send this response.  So, you can't "take off this task" from the SMTP
Server.

If you are trying to deny this response from leaving your SMTP server and
going back to the client, you can do that with an IPS, but it's better to
make that configuration change on the SMTP server instead of dropping the
packets in midstream.

--
Joel Esler | 302-223-5974 | gtalk: jesler () sourcefire com