Snort mailing list archives

Re: Being killed by poor IE rules...

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:38:04 -0500

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Guise McAllaster <
guise.mcallaster () gmail com> wrote:

Thanks for the response Matt.  Often I wonder if there is any point in
running GID:3 rules in high volumes, non-inline snorts.  I get many
many false positive and when I try to investigate, I cannot not know
what the rule is and so cannot be sure about accuracy, especially if
details about the vulnerability are not clear.  I try to explain to my
boss but he get mad. :(  If a snorts is inline, OK, GID:3 could be
usefule to block.  But with such high volume and poorly written Web
2.0 applications out there, false positives are inevitable and with
GID:3, it makes it very tough for the rules to be anything more than a
waste of memory/CPUs.

Is there a good way to disable GID:3 rules globally.  If not, could a
feature request be put in to do this, maybe have a snort.conf setting?

Don't load the stub rules in snort.conf

Thanks again ... and sorry if my European cultural communication style
came across as hostile.  I thought Americans were tough cowboys but I
see a lot of crying. ;)  Just trying to give back to the community. :)
 <----- (smiley == !hostile)

Guise