Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Surprised by snort classtype.

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:29:41 -0600

I was going to sit on the sidelines for this one since Matt already
covered it. Jerry, I've found that things like this can certainly
influence a purchase decision, especially when higher-level management
is involved. Arguing the technical merits of a product is often
impossible once a negative non-enterprise perception exists. Guise is at
fault for "not scrubbing the bits" but this nomenclature, legacy or not,
persists in the current Snort manual and is not something I would want
or expect in an enterprise class product.

Got to be careful with the live data...

-evilghost

Jerry wrote:
Hi Guise,

Guise McAllaster napsal(a):

Gents,

Yesterday I was tasked with giving an executive level presentation to the
CISO and CFO

I expect someone from SourceFire folks might get an explanation for
these legacy signatures.

As for Snort enterprise failure. I wonder if you're looking for  leading
IPS vendor to protect your company or you give up and choose IDS
according to "it seems cool". It seems ridiculous to me evaluating the
benefit of SF IPS by classification names.  I wonder if shellcodes,
exploits and such things matter in your choice and choice of your C*
management. In my opinion "Enterprise-Ready" IPS should be able to
detect, block, alert and log threats. Rejecting "Snort" for "not cool
sound of alerts" sounds to me like "not purchasing certain type of car
because of the color the radio has".

When you're evaluating something for your company, I'd expect you using
all possible knowledge and skills for that before. You can easily get
rid of such signatures by simply disabling and ignoring them.... or you
can change them in something that really does not offend your superiors.

If you've used all your skills to enable such signatures (I believe they
are disabled by default) in my opinion you can't blame SF for that.  It
has been your choice and your decision that brought those signature in
front of your superiors.

Regards

Jerry