Snort mailing list archives

Re: http_header

From: Mike Messick <mikem () tridigitalenterprises com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:03:25 -0900

No - but when I modify the rule to:

alert tcp any any -> any $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "HTTP traffic to microsoft.com"; content:"microsoft.com"; nocase;
sid:3000004;)

it will fire if I type 'microsoft.com' into the search window on
www.microsoft.com.

gahh... This feels obvious, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

-Mike.

evilghost () packetmail net wrote:
Mike, I'm curious, does this work?

alert tcp any any -> any $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "HTTP traffic to
www.microsoft.com"; content:"|0d 0a|Host\: www.microsoft.com|0d 0a|"; nocase;
sid:3000004;)

Note, I did not specify an HTTP method so there is potential to false against body content.

PS - Todd says I don't need to escape colon, I'm old school.

-evilghost

Mike Messick wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to write some rules that will alert whenever a specific http
host is requested by a client.  For example:

alert tcp any any -> any $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "HTTP traffic to
www.microsoft.com"; content: "www.microsoft.com"; http_header; nocase;
sid:3000004;)

However I cannot get this rule to alert.  What am I doing wrong?

I did notice this in the release notes for 2.8.6 Beta:
[*] New Additions
   * HTTP Inspect now splits requests into 5 components -
     Method, URI, Header (non-cookie), Cookies, Body.
     Content and PCRE rule options can now search one or more of these

I'm currently using 2.8.5.1; do I need to upgrade to 2.8.6 beta?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike.