Snort mailing list archives

Re: Writing a rule to trigger on a spoofed mac address

From: "Dawson,Scottie" <scottie.Dawson () ColoState EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:25:16 -0600

Thanks Adam.

http://www.infosecramblings.com/2008/12/02/snort-base-mysql-and-a-deadcafeba
be/

scott

From: Dawson,Scottie [mailto:scottie.Dawson () colostate edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:18 AM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Writing a rule to trigger on a spoofed mac address

Snort folks

I have gotten some alerts recently on traffic triggered by "Emerging Threats
Trojan Bot - potential reptile commands".  When we looked at the PCAP file
we saw that the mac address on both ends of the conversation was spoofed
11:22:33:44:55:66 and de:ad:ca:fe:ba:be.  I am wondering if it's possible to
write a rule that triggers on either one of those mac address's?  I was
reading in the snort manual and I see potential reasons why this is not
possible such as the protocols portion of the alert (page 92).  If it is
possible could you guys point me in the right direction?

scott

Scott Dawson
ACNS Network Security
970-297-3712