Snort mailing list archives

Re: version numbers needed for preprocessors / libsf_engine?

From: Steven Sturges <steve.sturges () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:18:38 -0500

Hi Markus--

Are you talking about the version number on the .so itself,
or the version/build numbers that are internal to the code?

The internal version numbers were intended to help in handling
compatibility problems, but it is best to replace both the
shared libs and Snort together.

Generally, when I build/install the .so's, the plain .so actually
gets symlink'd to a similarly named file that has a version.

-steve

Markus Lude wrote:
Hello,
I'm a bit unsure about this and therefore want to ask here...

When building libsf_engine and the preprocessors currently a version
number is added to the libraries. Do one really need them or could one
simply drop them?

Without version numbers updating snort might be a bit easier.

Regards,
Markus