Snort mailing list archives

Re: Status of Snort Inline

From: justin joseph <justinjoseph007 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:42:04 +0530

On 10/12/09, Jan Ježek <jjezek () kerio com> wrote:

On 12.10.2009 15:27, "Joel Esler" <eslerj () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Jan Ježek <jjezek () kerio com> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I would like to gather some knowledge about the status of the inline
functionalty.

There is Snort 2.8 in which the inline functionality does not work. It
does
not work because it relies on libipq which is no longer supported and the
compat layer from libnetfilter-queue has just been removed recently so
Snort
with GIDS enabled wouldn¹t even compile. Also, IP defragmentation in
inline
mode seems to be broken in the current 2.8 (though it worked in 2.8.0).
The
reason is because it tryes to safe memcopy zero bytes.

Then there is the snort-inline project which development seems dead. It¹s
only 2.6 and the maintainer isn¹t replying.

We would like to integrate Snort in inline mode into a security product.
We
are willing to fix and maintain the inline mode Snort. But the current
status is unclear. Is the only way to branch and maintain our own
project?

Furthermore, we are willing to maintain the Windows version even with the
inline mode. Internally, we were able to compile and run 2.8 on Windows
in
inline mode successfully.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to proceed.

The code you are looking at, I am assuming you are referring to the
"snort_inline" project?
As opposed to looking at the code in Snort.  Snort can be compiled to
perform IPS functions with the --enable-inline compile tag.

Just for clarification.

Joel

Both, actually. I don't know how the inline code (activated by
--enable-inline) got to the Snort main line. I presume it was merged from
snort_inline at some port of time? However, in its current state it does not
work at all on Linux because it depends on libipq and support for that is
discontinued in the latest 2.6.x kernels.

This thread might be of help:

http://marc.info/?l=snort-devel&m=124989274715663&w=2

There are some more of my queries in the archive.

snort 2.8.4 compiles with --enable-inline on ubuntu hardy(did this even today)
But like you say it might not on the lastest 2.6.x kernels as libipq
support might
be absent.

As Victor clarified, we are now looking into the snort_inline project's SVN
repository and that one seems to be OK.  The current snapshot of
snort_inline now uses linetfilter_queue instead of libipq.

This might be better, AFAIK the latest svn (of snort_inline)has
snort_inline code merged against snort-2.8.4.  The reply to this
effect might well be there in the list archives.

JJ.