Snort mailing list archives

sfPortScan - Snort 2.8.5.1

From: Tim Clarkson <timothyclarkson () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:05:17 +1300

Hi there everyone,

I have snort up and running thanks to everything I have read here.  I now have a problem with the sfPortScan part of
the configuration.

sfPortscan is creating a log file and detecting the portscan activity (some times), I am using nmap from another
machine to generate the scan activity. The main issue I have is it does not generate an alert but only writes to the
log file.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Regards
Tim Clarkson

P.S. is sfPortScan a bit flaky on the detection, even set to high it is not getting all the activity.