Snort mailing list archives

Re: stream5 and use_static_footprint_sizes

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () snort org>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:43:20 -0500

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Guise McAllaster
<guise.mcallaster () gmail com> wrote:
Todd,

Thanks for this response, I really appreciate it.  From what you say and
what I have reads, it seems that using use_static_footprint_sizes is not
recommended.  However, I am puzzled because I just did a generic snort
install (using Ubuntu and apt-get) and I notice that
use_static_footprint_sizes IS enabled.  But why?

--Guise

This is an oversight.  It is currently enabled in both the default
snort.conf provided in the official releases of Snort as well as the
VRT provided rulepacks.

An update to the VRT provided rulepacks will be released soon that
will correct this oversight.  The default snort.conf provided in the
official releases of Snort will be updated upon the next release of
Snort.

Brian