Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Install

From: Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:24:26 -0600

Quoting Biggs Darklighter <jedi_darklighter () hotmail com>:

on this network and am wondering if this would be a good machine to use?
any suggestions would be very helpful. I have never used and have not
installed snort as of yet due to lack of working computers (4) lying

the hardware you describe is sufficient for the sensor.  Beyond
"sufficient", lets be clear about a couple things:
   - if your ruleset is poorly tuned or badly deployed, no amount of
hardware will be sufficient.
   - you must learn to run everything you need, then turn off everything else.

I personally run a bunch of snort boxes on our satellite campuses (
less than 10 PCs ) on AMD Geode (Soekris) machines with 512mb ram, no
disks, and the full ruleset.

The reason you can't find anything about recommended sizing is that it
doesn't matter.  Rule tuning matters.  Deployment matters.  Everything
else is just noise.

jp

--

Framework?  I don't need no stinking framework!

@fferent Security Labs:  Isolate/Insulate/Innovate
http://www.afferentsecurity.com