Snort mailing list archives

Re: MSSQL False Neg

From: "Bill Scherr IV" <bschnzl () cotse net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:37:51 -0500

Matt...

From a # snort -c <file> -T 2>&1 | less
gen-id=1 _ sig-id=3543 _ type=Threshold _ tracking=src _ count=5 _ seconds=2

So the thresholding is set.  That seems a bit tight.  This guy passes one packet every 2.25 seconds.
IMHO, that passes for a brute force attempt. Granted this service should not be subjected to one of
these attacks, but 2 to 3 attempts per second is kind of heavy.

I shifted the threshold to 1800 seconds on my sensors.

Thanks for your very well explained effort.

B.

Circa 19:14, 1 Dec 2009, a note, claiming source Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>, was sent to
me: