Snort mailing list archives

Re: If this, but not this rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:52:31 -0600

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Jesse Lands <cryptograffiti () gmail com>wrote:

Not sure if this even possible, but I want to alert on a specific file
header flag, but not if it contains another flag.

Is there a way to write an alert like that?  Not asking for solutions.  If
there is a spot you can reference I can read it.

You mean to do a positive match, then a negative match?  Yes.

For instance, I want to look for packets with the word "joel" but not the
word "esler"

content:"joel"; content:!"esler";

--
Joel Esler | 302-223-5974 | gtalk: jesler () sourcefire com