Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie question about $HOME_NET

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:43:54 -0400

You could leave HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET as "any" to detect traffic in both
directions regardless of signature.  But you will wind up with a LOT of
alerts.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Daniel Qian <daniel.qian () supracanada com>wrote:

 Perhaps I did not make it clear. What I really want to detect is for
those traffic between my network and the Internet,  and in both direction

A lot of times when a host is compromised it will be made to attach other
people on the Internet and I want to detect this kind of activities as well.
For traffic between my own hosts I am thinking to set up another snort box
tapping on the inside VLAN protected by my Cisco ASA firewall. The Cisco ASA
currently has an IPS module to protect that VLAN from outside.

Thanks,
Daniel