Snort mailing list archives

Re: simple rule to alert when visiting a website

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:44:27 -0500

Actually ip lists aren't terribly as speedy as a simple content match.

On Tuesday, November 17, 2009, Rob Dixon <rob.l.dixon () gmail com> wrote:
Hi Mary,

There are some setup guides and other documentation @snort.org that cover this subject.

There are a few ways to do this.

You could simply use a content match to look for "ebay.com", but this would also trigger for any site that has that
text.(false positives)

You could set a variable in the snort.conf and call it $ebay_servers and put ebays net block in there? Then write a
simple rules to match the headers only. (more efficient)

Alert tcp any any -> ebay_servers any (msg:"Warning - EBAY Activity";) something like that?

Or, use squid in passive mode.

Sounds like fun, good luck!

Rob

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:49 AM, mary andrews <maryandrews22 () gmail com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'maryandrews22