Snort mailing list archives

Re: pmgraph.pl

From: Edward Bjarte Fjellskål <edward.fjellskal () redpill-linpro com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:26:43 +0100

Jefferson, Shawn wrote:

As a comment to pmgraph.pl, I have earlyer made some basic plugins for
Munin that graphs different stuff that I use/need to tune snort.
http://www.gamelinux.org/?p=32
http://download.gamelinux.org/snort/Snort-Munin-Plugins.png

In the light of new stable version of Munin soon to come this year
(current is 1.4.0-alpha), I will probably spend some time and rewrite
the plugin in perl, and merge all into one plugin.
Munin also uses Tobi Oetiker's rrdtool btw.

But at the moment, munin is a must for me on all sensors.

http://download.gamelinux.org/snort/

./Edward

Well, in the recent Sourcefire webinar on tuning the snort sensors it came up.  From the whitepaper at
http://www.snort.org/assets/126/WhitePaper_Snort_PerformanceTuning_2009.pdf

"The next statistic is pattern match percentage. This is the number of bytes that Snort is passing through the
pattern matcher to identify possible rules, compared to the total number of bytes seen by Snort. This number could be
higher than 100%, in the case of IP defragmentation, TCP reassembly, DCE/RPC reassembly, etc. Ideally this would be
in the 10% range."